Youkihi Medaka Orange Fish
The Youkihi Medaka Ricefish is a rare and brilliant orange color morph of the Japanese Ricefish, which is one of the hardiest and most adaptable fish
The Youkihi Medaka Ricefish (Oryzias latipes, var. “Youkihi”), also known as the Japanese Ricefish or Japanese Killifish, is an extraordinarily adaptable fish species that has been selectively bred into this brilliant bright orange variety. This schooling fish can be the highlight in any peaceful community aquarium and it is a particular standout in the planted aquarium. There seems to be some debate as to whether it should be considered part of the killifish family since it behaves similarly, but is not closely related to most other killifish. This mostly subtropical fish can freely inhabit all salinities of water, from freshwater to fully marine water.
The Youkihi Medaka Ricefish must be kept in schools of 6 or more. Not only will it display its best natural behavior and coloration in large schools, but it will also pay little attention to other species. This tank-raised fish is very hardy and adaptable, but it requires clean, well-maintained water to thrive and it will display optimal coloration and health in a planted aquarium with dark substrate, especially where floating plants are present. As long as it has plenty of cover, it is an extremely outgoing species. It is very easy to breed in the aquarium. It has the ability to jump, so a secure aquarium lid is necessary.
While not a picky eater, the Youkihi Medaka Ricefish will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of mostly omnivorous foods. High-quality flake food, pellets, and live, frozen, or freeze-dried Artemia, microworms, Tubifex, and finely chopped bloodworms will all be readily accepted. However, the Youkihi Medaka Ricefish also requires some vegetable matter in its diet. It will not bother aquarium plants.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful bright orange coloration and very small size
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Very active and noticeable fish in any aquarium
- Ideal for nano and planted aquariums
- Extremely hardy
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 18° - 24° C
- pH: 7.0 – 8.0
- Minimum Tank Size: 10 gallons for a school, although a larger aquarium is more optimal
- Diet: Omnivore. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods of appropriate size. Vegetable matter is also essential.
- Social Behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Japan, China, Taiwan, Korea, and Vietnam
- Average Adult Size: 1.6 inches (4 cm)
- Average Purchase Size: .5 – 1 inch (1.3 – 2.5 cm)