Nothobranchius Eggersi - Killifish
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful coloration and small size
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Easy to breed in the aquarium
- Excellent for inhabiting the top of the aquarium
- Will not bother ornamental plants
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 20° - 24° C
- pH: 7.0 - 8.2
- Diet: Micropredator. Requires appropriately sized meaty live and frozen foods, but will likely also accept dry foods. Some vegetable matter such as spirulina is beneficial
- Social Behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Tanzania
- Average Adult Size: 1.8 - 2 inches (4.5 - 5 cm)
The Egger's Killifish (Nothobranchius eggersi) is an extremely colorful, peaceful fish whose small size makes it absolutely perfect for the nano or planted aquarium. Native to stagnant swamps and slow-moving waterways in Tanzania, this colorful fish is excellent for aquariums with very low water flow or, under the correct strict maintenance schedule, no water flow at all.
The Egger's Killifish occupies the top level of the water column almost exclusively. It is not afraid to jump, so it must be kept in an aquarium with either a lid/hood/canopy or at least a significantly lowered water level. It will not eat or bother ornamental plants and it will appreciate the cover, especially with floating plants. The Egger's Killifish is possibly compatible with other very peaceful fish and invertebrate species that thrive in low water flow.