Apistrogramma Macmasteri Super Red - Male
Apistogramma macmasteri super red is a remarkably colorful dwarf cichlid that is very distinctive in its bright red and blue facial coloration. The Apistogramma macmasteri super red will thrive in an aquarium with a sandy substrate and plenty of refuge such as clay pots, driftwood, and rock formations. It is an excellent candidate for the planted aquarium, but it also needs a fair amount of open space. This cichlid is generally compatible with other peaceful fish as long as it has plenty of space. Territoriality is typically at its peak during spawning. Dwarf shrimp and other small, delicate invertebrates should not be kept with the Apistogramma macmasteri super red , but more durable, larger shrimp and snails could possibly make good tankmates in a large enough aquarium. If spawning is desired, tankmates of other species should be kept to a minimum or avoided altogether.
Feeding is simple for the unfussy RApistogramma macmasteri super red. High-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods will all be readily accepted. Quality and variety are the keys to a diet that will ensure that this fish maintains optimal health and coloration.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Exceptional coloration in both males and females
- Hardy with plenty of personality
- Possible to breed in the aquarium
- Compatible with many other species in a spacious tank
- Perfect species for the heavily planted aquarium
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 22° - 30° C
- pH: 6.0 - 7.0, tank-raised specimens are more flexible regarding pH level
- KH: 2 – 15 KH
- Minimum tank size: 15 gallons for a pair, but a larger tank is required for a group
- Diet: Carnivorous. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods is necessary for optimal health and coloration.
- Social behavior: Congregates loosely in groups. Males can be territorial when attempting to spawn and females are very protective of their eggs during spawning.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Guaytiquia and Meta Rivers, Colombia
- Average adult size: 2 inches (5 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1.5 inches (3.8 cm)